Thursday, July 25, 2013

Oh, Canada!

(Former Dodgers manager and Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame member Tommy Lasorda shared a picture from the museum's collection while reflecting on the Dodgers play in Toronto)


I thought you'd like this old picture of me from Canada!  That's when I was playing for the Montreal Royals.  At the time of this picture, I had just accepted a challenge to eat 100 pieces of calamari.  I didn't even win!  Hard to believe knowing my reputation now, but at the time I didn't have the physique.  Look at me: I was an athlete!

Beyond those days, I haven't had a better time in Canada beyond this series against the Blue Jays.  After blowing em out Monday night, we come back Tuesday and Wednesday to win!  Our 10th road win in a row - an LA record!  Now, you might expect this from a 1st place club like the Dodgers, particularly against a junk team like Toronto.  But remember what I always say, except for a buffet, nothing comes easy.  It's the sign of a winner to play to the last pitch!

Now that I think about it...I think this week's series ties for my favorite time in Canada.  My other favorite time was at the start of the 1982 season.  I think it was May or so, but we were in Montreal playing the Expos.  Welch was on the mound, and we were in control.  I had a lot of old friends visiting me from the days of the picture above, so it was a great trip.  Anyway, Welch is in a groove so I get the clubhouse guy's attention.  I tell him of a nearby place that has good ham and croissant sandwiches and stuff, so I give him some cash.  I thought I'd remembered to exchange money, but I gave him a $20 U.S.!  Well, he comes back with 2 grocery bags full of food!  I totally forgot.  Well, before the word got out I took down the 1st bag.  2nd was harder, but Nando helped - he needed his strength because he was pitching in a couple days.  Shit, to think there was a time when $20 would buy me enough food to fill me up.

(Yawns)  Excuse me.  Still tired from that night flight last night.  What's in the fridge?

No comments: