Monday, April 5, 2010

Happiness begins anew!

With the baseball season starting today (whatever ESPN might have you think) we turn to Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda for his thoughts!


Sure, I'll sign a wiffle ball. Just let me - whoa...wait a minute. Who changed the background of this site? Looks like a flashback to kids bedsheets in the 1980 JCPenney catalog. Nice fuckin' move...you should coach 3rd base somewhere with that decision making.

I guess I shouldn't be pissed off. After all, it's opening day! We waited through a long off-season and finally made it here. Did any of you attend Spring Training games? I was there at Cameltoe...er, Camelback Ranch where the Dodgers play. It's really a beautiful facility, and I can tell you that the team did well by me: I have my own dining room there as well! As you know, traveling makes finding and enjoying good meals all the more difficult. Took me a week to find good Italian when we moved here, so I've balanced out my diet with plenty of Mexican food. When I order in Spanish, wherever I go, I get a free margarita. Can't beat that.

And speaking of beating...the Dodgers lost today to the Pirates. That feels bad enough, but the sneaking suspicion that the club didn't completely address the lack of pitching was a bright light in the face. Especially in Pittsburgh, a team will occasionally lose there because you're trying to get the strength up to face each day. That's how life is there. Gotta say at first I couldn't understand why we have a day off before our second game, but now I know we need the work.

Additionally, I'm sure you've heard a lot in the off-season about the McCourt's divorce and who would end up owning the team. Hell, Farmer John can buy em for all I care...it's about making the right decisions. One of the things in the gossip pages was that this might be Torre's last year before retirement. The name to replace him: bench coach Don Mattingly. What, is Steve Sax busy?

Sorry guys, this performance on the opening day has put me in a funk. I had a couple of Italian Sausages before the game, but that didn't help matters much. Guess I'll go to Rico's here in Pittsburgh tonight for Linguine and Clams, just like Mike Damone! But enough about all that - let's talk about the other team in this "blog" - the Twins!

I can't imagine the happiness the Twins fans must have...they're back outside, in that wild Minnesota weather, taking advantage of what few nice days they have. And that's how it should be! Playing in a dome can be tough for your emotions. First couple of times I went to the Astrodome, I was in awe. This was truly a stadium from the future. But as I told Walter Alston back then (who registered no response to my comments; nothing new there) - I hope this ISN'T the future, because I feel like I'm in an airplane hangar. I don't FEEL like I'm at a ballgame. Let me give you an example:

Back in May of 1991, we're taking care of the Astros...I look over to the Astro dugout and see Art Howe place a big brown tank next to him. I didn't know what the hell it was, so I went back to managing the game. Later on, I look over again cause I want to see if they're going to bring in a new pitcher, and there's Art, with a mask up to his face. Turns out he was on laughing gas. Then it dawned on me that you HAD to do something like that just to take playing in here day in and out. That's the first and only time as manager back then (not including spring training) where I fell asleep during a game. Juan Samuel woke me up.

I never managed a game in the old Met Stadium, but I can only guess that this new stadium will get such lore. Will there be a Rusty Scupper, Howard Wong's, Mother Tuckers and Lincoln Del nearby?

I wish the Twins luck in taking apart the Angels and having a great season in that new park. Remember fans - they did this for you just as much as for themselves. Show up and be sure to put away those Schweigert hot dogs!

No comments: